The Ryhope Engines Museum is based on the Ryhope Pumping Station which was built in 1868 to supply water to the Sunderland area. The station ceased operation in 1967 - after 100 years of continuous use.
The Museum is now regarded as one of the finest industrial monuments in the North East of England, and is in a Grade II (starred) listed building. Although the station no longer pumps water, the two 100 horsepower beam engines are kept in working order by volunteer members of the Ryhope Engines Trust, and 'steamed' periodically for the benefit of visitors.
© shona branigan photographer